Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Eye for eye, teeth for teeth" - An analysis of Bonjasky vs. Manhoef III

~ Was Melvin REALLY robbed?



Now, let's say you asked me this question on September 29th. My answer would have been "Yes, the fight should have definitely went to an extension round, 29-29 on my scorecard".

I've got to say I am partial to Melvin. I remember watching his fights back in Cage Rage and just thinking the guy was an absolute beast, albeit a flawed one. Melvin remains one of my favourite fighters, even when he disappoints, he's hard not to pull for. Saying this, anyone who knows me will know I am not the biggest Remy Bonjasky fan on the planet, seeing as I do root for Badr and Melvin. I've got to say when Remy commits and goes for it, is a fun fighter to watch, his fight with Saki and Melvin in 2008 were both awesome showings. However, in the past I've called Remy an "actor" and maybe a bit of a "crybaby" when it came to his antics in the ring (referring to the stomp in last year's final, and that facepalm moment with Leko in 2006).

Now, looking at this, one can come to the conclusion that I would firmly say Melvin earned a draw, while others have said Remy took it. Upon rewatching the fight earlier this morning, this is what I've come to:

Both opinions are valid.

My scorecard after the event was 29-29 draw, but this morning I had it 30-29 for Remy.

ROUND 1 ~ 10-10
ROUND 2 ~ 10-10
ROUND 3 ~ 10-9 (Bonjasky)

The first round the first time I watched the fight I thought was good enough for a 10-9 for Melvin, but I think something may have swayed my decision:

The crowd

The crowd was much behind Melvin from the get-go, and cheered for things that don't score points, such as takedowns from leg catches, a MuayThai technique illegal in the realm of K-1 kickboxing. What is surprising is that Melvin wasn't warned for this, something he did at least 5 or 6 times during the 9 minutes of battle. It doesn't score, but it certainly woke up the crowd (from a card of fights that equated to about 2 bottles of Nyquil). Also, in the first round Melvin threw a huge overhand that looked like it caught Remy, it's hard to tell but it looked like more of the weight of the shot caught Remy off-balance, not that he was visibly in trouble.

Still, if someone said "10-9 Melvin for sure" - I can't say a flat-out no to that score. It was a close round, closer than I originally thought, Remy landed some nice middle kicks and stayed calm. I've got to go the way of a 10-10, not enough for Melvin to win it.

The post-fight reaction too left people thinking the judges robbed another opponent of Remy, but the decision in my opinion was fair. The second was a draw no doubt, and Remy had Melvin in trouble plain as day in the third with a knee. Remy got into the zone in the third, and secured the win. Sure it wasn't as convincing as their encounter in 2008, Remy didn't look on fire, but Melvin didn't go with the same gameplan in Korea as he did in Amsterdam. He stayed patient, went to a decision, and as we know that isn't Melvin's bread and butter, and going to a decision with Remy is always a risky ask.

~ Mike Kogan is a dumbass



Now, I'm usually one who rambles on with cursing and swearing on message boards when I get mad at something, but I'm trying to keep these posts more on the PG-side, and I mean this in the nicest was possible - Mike Kogan is a retard.

Now, I've spoke of my dislike before for Kogan, especially after the commentary at the MAX Final 8, most notably in the Mes/Sato fight. I'm watching Remy vs. Melvin III, and I hear Kogan say, "It shouldn't have been a unanimous decision, that means Remy won EVERY round, which he didn't".



I'm here wondering, how on God's green earth did Mike Kogan ever become the president of FEG USA? Like seriously? The guy clearly knows nothing about the sport, slanders the judges at every opportunity, and doesn't even understand the scoring system! He thinks a unanimous decision = a 30-27 scorecard! And we are forced to listen to this clown?

I can talk my fair share of smack about Mark "The Hammer" Castagnini, but at least Hammer knows the sport. Kogan knows absolutely nothing about kickboxing, MuayThai, or any kickfighting in general. Maybe he should put on his gi and go commentate ADCC or something, so I don't have to have my IQ lowered by listening to his verbal diahrrea.



~ "[Remy Bonjasky] God of my ass"





Seeing as how I got my Kogan hate-rant out of the way, let's talk about Remy "God" Bonjasky. Now Melvin's hilarious comments aside, is Remy the real "God" of the K-1 heavyweight division, or just the most fortunate fighter on the circuit? Time will tell, and this year's bracket will reveal a lot about Remy.



A match with Errol Zimmerman awaits, which I'm excited about, and in my opinion a third match with Semmy Schilt in the semis. Can Remy make good on Schilt once and for all, or will his style fall again to Schilt's jab, reach and relentless pressure. A lot of time history repeats itself, and I think it will again in December, but pulling for Remy here.

~ Manhoef - destined to fill the shoes of "Big Daddy"?

Over a cup of coffee on the 27th, Mike Passenier came out and was honest with Schiavello, saying Melvin can never win the K-1 WGP. A logical statement from someone who made Melvin who he is today. Schiavello put Melvin into "gatekeeper" status, an "upsetter", a role cherished by one-time MMA and K-1 fighter, Gary Goodridge. Is Melvin deemed to be a gatekeeper from here on out? A fight with Zelg Galesic awaits in the six-sided cage at DREAM.12, Spong in 2010, and surely a reserve fight at the K-1 WGP Final in December. Time will tell, but "No Mercy" is going down swinging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...